Data Protection Law and the GDPR
The law in the UK changed in May 2018 with the implementation of the EU General Data Protection Regulations ("GDPR"). Despite the UK leaving the European Union sometime in the relatively near future, it will still be necessary for the UK government to apply the same standards and regulation of data privacy and data protection as set out in the EU GDPR.
The Data Protection Act 1998 has, therefore, been replaced by the Data Protection Act 2018, which in turn enacted the provisions of the GDPR into English law. Compliance standards and requirements for data processors and data controllers have also dramatically changed in some instances. Accordingly, being up to date and understanding these changes and their effects is imperative for businesses of all sizes.
At Holt HR Consulting Ltd, we have been significant experience of the role data protection takes in modern business. It cannot be avoided, particularly with the potential for fines and penalties uder the GDPR increasing to (up to) €20 million or 4% of annual turnover.
At extremely competitive costs, we can provide any or all of the following services by way of support to businesses concerned about compliance with the GDPR:
- Memoranda of Advice with detailed or abbreviated information regarding the new law - in plain English that is easy to comprehend.
- Audit (and update) of existing Data Protection and/or Data Privacy policies and statements - whether "internal" (staff) policies, or "external" statements in contract terms or websites, for example.
- Audit (and update) of all contracts and other commercial documentation, such as terms of business, to ensure GDPR compliant wording.
- Provision of staff (or other third party) training regarding policy and procedure for dealing with all aspects of data privacy and protection, such as dealing with data breaches, audits by the Information Commissioner's Office ("ICO"), individual data subject requests under the GDPR.
- Assistance with application and approval of recognised data protection business standards, such as ISO/IEC27001 (Information Security Management) and BS10012 (Personal Information Management).
- Liaison and dialogue with the ICO for approval or "accreditation" regarding compliance with the GDPR.
For more information, Contact us.
The content of this website is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Holt HR Consulting Ltd makes no representations or warranties as to the accuracy or completeness of the content of this website. Peter Holt is an Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development. Holt HR Consulting Ltd does not operate as a solicitor's practice and is not regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority or the Law Society. Holt HR Consulting Ltd is an independent business consultancy.
© 2021 Holt HR Consulting Ltd (Registered No.13531375). All rights reserved. The content of this website is not to be construed as containing legal advice. Holt HR Consulting Ltd will treat any information provided as confidential. No client relationship with Holt HR Consulting Ltd exists until a written agreement is signed.